TRAINING PROGRAM DIRECTOR: S. Celeste Morley, MD, PhD
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR/CO-DIRECTOR: Stephanie Fritz, MD, MSCI
COORDINATOR: Ms. Emily Strong
CHIEF, INFECTIOUS DISEASES: David Hunstad
MAJOR FEATURES OF TRAINING PROGRAM: Clinical training is predominantly performed at St. Louis Children’s Hospital, a nationally recognized 390-bed pediatric quaternary referral center on the campus of the Washington University Medical Center that is among the nation’s elite children’s hospitals.
TITLE(S) OF RECENT FELLOWS’ PUBLISHED PAPERS OR RESEARCH PROJECTS:
- Schwartz DJ, Langdon AE, Dantas G. Understanding the impact of antibiotic perturbation on the human microbiome. Genome Med. 2020 Sep 28;12(1):82. doi: 10.1186/s13073-020-00782-x. Erratum in: Genome Med. 2021 Feb 12;13(1):26. PMID: 32988391; PMCID: PMC7523053.
- Lake JG, Miller LG, Fritz SA. Antibiotic Duration, but Not Abscess Size, Impacts Clinical Cure of Limited Skin and Soft Tissue Infection After Incision and Drainage. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 Jul 27;71(3):661-663. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciz1129. PMID: 31738397; PMCID: PMC7384315.
- Cabler SS, Hogan PG, Fritz SA, Bednarski JJ, Hunstad DA. Incidence and treatment of hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis in hospitalized children with Ehrlichia infection. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2020 Oct;67(10):e28436. doi: 10.1002/pbc.28436. Epub 2020 Jul 24. PMID: 32706439.
- Janowski AB, Klein RS, Wang D. Differential In Vitro Infection of Neural Cells by Astroviruses. mBio. 2019 Jul 9;10(4):e01455-19. doi: 10.1128/mBio.01455-19. PMID: 31289185; PMCID: PMC6747723.
- Reich PJ, Boyle MG, Hogan PG, Johnson AJ, Wallace MA, Elward AM, Warner BB, Burnham CA, Fritz SA. Emergence of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains in the neonatal intensive care unit: an infection prevention and patient safety challenge. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2016 Jul;22(7):645.e1-8. doi: 10.1016/j.cmi.2016.04.013. Epub 2016 Apr 25. PMID: 27126609; PMCID: PMC4987169.
GRANT FUNDING RECEIVED FOR FELLOW RESEARCH PROJECTS:
PIDS St. Jude (3)
Thrasher Research Fund Early Career Award Program (2)
Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr Foundation (1)
St. Louis Children’s Hospital
NUMBER OF INPATIENT/OUTPATIENT CONSULTS PER YEAR: 750
FELLOWS ACCEPTED EACH YEAR: 2
VISAS ACCEPTED: J1; H1B
FUNDING ENSURED FOR ALL 3 YEARS: Yes
IS COMPLETION OF PEDIATRIC RESIDENCY TRAINING IN THE U.S. OR CANADA A REQUIREMENT: Yes
Program provides training (didactic lectures, hands on experience, or antimicrobial stewardship meetings/membership) in:
- Microbiology lab on site
- Infection control and hospital epidemiology
- Antimicrobial stewardship
- Immunocompromised hosts
Opportunities to fulfill the ABP requirements for scholarly activity is available in the following general areas:
- Antimicrobial agents
- Antimicrobial stewardship
- Bacteriology/bacterial infections
- Clinical trials
- Epidemiology and statistics
- Global health
- Host defense/immunology
- Infection control/hospital epidemiology
- Medical education
- Mycology/fungal infections
- Parasitology/parasitic diseases
- Public health
- Quality improvement
- Transplant medicine
- Virology/viral diseases
Opportunities exist for research outside of the ID Division: Yes
Program offers the opportunity to obtain a Master’s degree in a field such as Public Health, Education, Clinical Sciences, or Epidemiology (assuming appropriate arrangements are made): Yes