Training Program Director: Dr. Michael Hawkes
Coordinator: Denise Biziaev
Chief, Infectious Diseases: Dr. Joan Robinson
Major Features of Training Program:
The outstanding features of our program are:
- We all love clinical work and there is a huge emphasis on excellent patient care.
- Most solid organ transplants in western Canada are performed at our center so trainees gain extensive experience in pre and post transplant management.
- We are a referral center for pediatric cardiac surgery and have many patients on ECMO and VADs. Trainees will learn how to manage these complex patients.
Title(s) of Recent Fellows’ Published Research Papers:
- Treatment strategies for cerebrospinal shunt infections: a systematic review of observational studies.
Robinson JL, Freire D, Bialy L.BMJ Open. 2020 Dec 10;10(12):e038978. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-038978.PMID: 33303443
- COVID-19 – What does a paediatrician need to know?
Robinson J, Freire D.Paediatr Respir Rev. 2020 Sep;35:3-8. doi: 10.1016/j.prrv.2020.05.001. Epub 2020 May 11.PMID: 32798115
- Pregnancy Among HIV-Serodiscordant Couples: Case Report of Vertical Transmission and Retrospective Case Series.
Choudhury B, Stadnyk M, Jijon DF, McLaughlin L, Kanji JN, Charlton C, Smyczek P, Vaudry W, Houston S, Tse-Chang A, Hawkes MT.Curr HIV Res. 2020 Dec 31. doi: 10.2174/1570162X18999201231211658. Online ahead of print.PMID: 33390144
- Non-polio Enterovirus detection with acute flaccid paralysis: A systematic review.
Suresh S, Forgie S, Robinson J.J Med Virol. 2018 Jan;90(1):3-7. doi: 10.1002/jmv.24933. Epub 2017 Oct 12.PMID: 28857219
- A risk-stratified approach to cytomegalovirus prevention in pediatric solid organ transplant recipients. Suresh S, Lee BE, Robinson JL, Akinwumi MS, Preiksaitis JK.Pediatr Transplant. 2016 Nov;20(7):970-980. doi: 10.1111/petr.12786. Epub 2016 Aug 26.PMID: 27565955
Stollery Children’s Hospital
Number of Inpatient/Outpatient Consults Per Year: 800
Fellows Accepted Each Year: 1
Visas Accepted: Other
Funding ensured for all three years: No
Is Completion of Pediatric Residency Training in the U.S. or Canada a Requirement? No
Program provides training (didactic lectures, hands on experience, or antimicrobial stewardship meetings/membership) in:
- Microbiology lab on site
- Infection control and hospital epidemiology
- Antimicrobial stewardship
- Immunocompromised hosts
Opportunities to fulfill ABP requirements for scholarly activity is available in the following general areas:
- Antimicrobial agents
- Antimicrobial stewardship
- Bacteriology/bacterial infections
- Epidemiology and statistics
- Global health
- Infection control/hospital epidemiology
- Medical education
- Mycology/fungal infections
- Parasitology/parasitic diseases
- Public health
- Quality improvement
- Transplant medicine
- Virology/viral diseases
Opportunities exist for research experience outside of the ID Division? Yes
Program offers the opportunity to obtain a Master’s degree in a field such as Public Health, Education, Clinical Sciences or Epidemiology (assuming appropriate arrangements are made): Yes